1853 Pioneer Blacksmith Shop

Blacksmith ShopThis single-storey, cedar log structure was built by museum staff and volunteers in 1972, using logs from a small barn found in Derby Township in Grey County. The County of Grey-Owen Sound Museum (1967-2003) received a collection of blacksmithing equipment from the George Rice family in 1967, and needed a display and a replica forge demonstration area for the pieces and other blacksmithing items that were later donated. The building was moved to Moreston Heritage Village on March 21, 2006, and another replica forge was built into it that year. As it is positioned near the museum's Log Cabin structure, we now interpret it as an 1850s blacksmith shop. 

Blacksmith at work at the anvil while apprentices observe

 

 

Printer Friendly Page