1920s Timber Framed Barn

The rock elm timbers of this 86 foot x 56 foot barn were originally framed in 1907 on a farm in the former Stone pullerBarnSydenham Township (Lot 9, Concession 11).  The barn, with a single gable, double purlin, cedar-shingled roof, is deemed to be an unusually large example of its type. It was reconstructed at the County of Grey-Owen Sound Museum site in 1978-1979, to try to save an example of one of Grey County's bank barns, which were already rapidly disappearing; there it was used to house and display a collection of primarily horse-drawn farm vehicles and agricultural equipment, a function which continues today. The building was dismantled board by board and moved in October of 2006 to Moreston Village Heritage Village. It was reassembled by local Mennonites on a new foundation. At that time it was also clad with new boards, and roofed with new cedar shingles. In the summer of 2013, the basement of the barn was restored to its original configuration, complete with stalls, litter carrier, gutters and such.

Printer Friendly Page